Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ
About Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ
The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ was established in 1991. It has about 1,100 employees in Leipzig, Halle/S. and Magdeburg an annual budget of approximately 100 million euro. The UFZ scientists study the complex interactions between humans and the environment in cultivated and damaged landscapes. The scientists develop concepts and processes to help secure the natural foundations of human life for future generations.
38th in Germany
22nd in Germany
22nd in Germany
40th in Germany
Journal Editors at Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ
Reviewers from Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ
since 3/2014 Professor for “Macroecology” at the Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg.
2010 Call as Full Professor to the chair of “Landscape Ecology and Vegetation Science” (W3), University of Hohenheim; declined.
since 2004 Scientist at the UFZ Department of Community Ecology.
2001 - 2004 Postdoctoral Research Associate at the UFZ Department of Community Ecology.
1997 - 2000 PhD student at the chair of Systematic Botany, SG Geobotany, University of Bochum about flora and vegetation of ancient and recent forest in Westphalia. Study Groups Geobotany in Bochum Dissertation of Ingolf Kühn on ancient woodlands (in German)
1995 - 2001 Postgraduate Research Associate at the chair of Evolution and Biodiversity of Plants, University of Bochum (standard list of the flora of Germany, mapping scheme for the flora of Westphalia, Federal Information System on Genetic Ressources). Chair of Evolution and Biodiversity of Plants Federal Information System on Genetic Ressources
1991 - 1994 Grant of the 'National German Academic Foundation' (Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes). German Academic Foundation
1988 - 1994 Studies of biology and geography at the universities of Münster and Bochum, with a major in geobotany and minors in animal ecology and physical geography.
CV / scientific career
• 2015-2018: Scientific Coordinator ERA-Net BiodivERsA und FACCE-JPI-Projekt STACCATO („SusTaining AgriCultural ChAnge Through ecological engineering and Optimal use of natural resources“); (project evaluated and approved; start: April 2015)
• 2014-2016: IPBES (Intergovernmental Platform of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services); fast track assessment on pollinators and pollination; Coordinating lead author (CLA) of chapter 02 “Drivers of pollination and pollinator change“.
• 2011-2016: Scientific Coordinator BMBF Project LEGATO („Land-use intensity and Ecological Engineering – Assessment Tools for risks and Opportunities in irrigated rice based production systems“); ca. 100 scientists and stakeholders from Europa and South-East-Asia, esp. Germany, Philippines and Vietnam (www.legato-project.net);
• 2010-2014: IPCC AR5 Working Group II; Coordinating lead author (CLA) of chapter 04 “Terrestrial and inland water systems”;
• 2009-2012: Scientific Coordinator FP6 ERA-Net BiodivERsA-Project CLIMIT („CLimate change impacts on Insects and their MITigation“); ca. 70 scientists of 20 partner organisations from ca. 10 countries (www.climit-project.net);
• 2004-2009: Head and scientific co-ordinator of the EC FP6 Integrated Project ALARM (“Assessment of LArge scale environmental Risks for biodiversity with tested Methods”); ca. 250 scientists of 68 partner organisations from 35 countries (www.alarmproject.net);
• 2002-2006: Head and scientific co-ordinator of the EC FP5 RTD Project MacMan („Maculinea Butterflies of the Habitats Directive and European Red List as Indicators and Tools for Habitat Conservation and Management”); ca. 100 scientists of ca. 40 partner organisations from 18 countries (www.macman-project.net);
• 2002: “Umhabilitation“ to the Martin-Luther-University of Halle-Wittenberg; venia legendi for „Ecology“; since then ”Privatdozent” (= adj. Prof.);
• since 2001: Deputy Head of Department of Community Ecology and Head of the Animal Ecology section at the Helmholtz-Centre for Environmental Research – UFZ;
• 2000-2001: Scientific Co-ordinator of a national research project (BMBF funded) on sustainable land use for conservation of endangered species in the Central European Cultural landscape (“MOSAIK”).
• 1997: Habilitation at the University of Hohenheim; Thesis: ”Metapopulation analysis based on grid square data“, venia legendi for Landscape and Agricultural Ecology;
• 1993-2001: Deputy Head of Department of Conservation Biology at the UFZ – Centre for Environmental Research Leipzig-Halle;
• 1993-1996: Scientific co-ordinator of and researcher within large interdisciplinary conservation biological research projects (e.g. FIFB = Species survival in fragmented landscapes) at the UFZ - Centre for Environmental Research Leipzig-Halle;
• 1992: PhD in Agriculture (PhD Thesis on ecological impacts of agricultural intensification of Philippine Rice Terraces);
• 1986-1988: University study of Agricultural Biology at the University of Hohenheim; Masters in Agricultural Biology;
• 23. May 1961: born in Marktoberdorf/Allgäu/Germany
Author of more than 350 scientific publications, incl. more than 30 book projects and more than 120 ISI-listed papers (of which 16 publications are in the internationally renowned journals Nature, Nature Climate Change und Science).
Scientific Papers - Summary
Highly cited researcher - Thomson Reuters (2014): The world’s most influential scientific minds 2014. http://highlycited.com
Publications (28. Jan. 2015):
ISI listed papers: 123 Author and/or Editor of books: 35 Further publications: 215 citations in ISI-listed journals: ….. 4114 H-Index (Web of Science): 31
Google Scholar (28. Jan. 2015): Citation indices All Since 2010 Citations 8125 6350 h-index 42 38 i10-index 113 87
Reviewer for >30 international peer reviewed journals. Reviewer for >10 national and international fundign organisations.
My research focuses on spatial modeling to assess and conserve multiple ecosystem services. I am interested in method development to capture spatial heterogeneity of different components of ecosystem services, with a focus on interregional flows and coproduction of ecosystem services. I am also interested in exploring different forms of ecosystem service valuation. Other fields of interests are theoretical-conceptual development of the ecosystem service concept and the analysis of the science-policy interface relating to ecosystem services.
I have a degree in environmental sciences (Leuphana University of Lüneburg, Gemany, 2010) with broad interdisciplinary background, including landscape ecology, conservation biology, ecological economics and environmental ethics. I hold a PhD from Wageningen University (Netherlands, 2015). I am Postdoc at the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ in Leipzig, Germany. I am lead author in the Regional Assessment for Europe and Central Asia of IPBES (Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services).
Ecological economist. PhD in economics from Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg in 2017. Broad research interests: agricultural sustainability, biodiversity & ecosystem services, degrowth & sustainability, deliberative democracy, economic valuation, environmental governance. Currently working on governance of sustainable soil management.